My daughter's birthday is coming up soon, and while I started planning it today, I was reminded of the cupcakes I made for her last year. They were made using a recipe from Better Homes & Gardens, and were so good that I'm tempted to make them again. You'll see if you click over to the original recipe that it is for a stack cake with two frostings, but I simplified it a bit with just one frosting and these cakes, with just a hint cinnamon were delicious!
Recipe from BHG (adapted by me)
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cupcake tins with cupcake papers. Set pans aside.
2. In bowl combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
3. In large bowl with electric mixer beat butter on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Beat in sour cream and flour mixture. Pour batter into cupcake papers. Fill 2/3 full.
4. Bake 18-25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on rack.
Cherry Frosting: In chilled large mixing bowl combine one 8-ounce carton sour cream. 1 cup whipping cream (do not use ultra-pasteurized whipping cream), 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice. Beat with chilled beaters on medium-high until fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Chocolate-Dipped Cherries: Drain 16 maraschino cherries with stems; pat dry with paper towels. In small microwave-safe bowl combine 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces and 1 teaspoon shortening. Cook on 50 percent power (medium) 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until melted, stirring once. Dip cherries in chocolate; place on waxed paper until set. Store, covered, up to 24 hours
photo by me!