Chocolate Pancakes! These “pancakes” aren’t really meant to be breakfast food, though I sometimes let the girls have a chocolate pancake day. They’re really more like little personal cakes sans frosting. They’re made just like pancakes though, so they’re very quick and easy. They’re perfect for those chocolate cravings and cost you very little in money and time.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 T oil
- Mix all of the dry ingredients into a medium bowl, preferably one with a pour spout if you have one.
- Measure your milk into a large measuring cup first, then add the rest of the wet ingredients to it.
- Wisk the wet stuff with a fork to blend it well.
- Pour into the dry mix and stir it all up until there are no lumps in the batter.
If you’ve made regular pancakes before, you’ll do this just the same, just pour a circle about half the size of the pancake you want (it will expand!).
Now the difference here will be in the way these bubble up. With regular pancakes you’ll see real clear bubbles popping and the pancake gets a little brown. Well, these are already brown and they’re thicker, like cake, so they won’t look the same as pancakes.
Watch them just begin to bubble and they won’t be quite as shiny. Wiggle the spatula underneath one to flip it over and if it sticks, pull it back and wait a little longer. If you can get the spatula under the pancake okay, go on and flip it. It may take a few tries to get it right.
Pour, then it’s about 3 minutes, then flip, then 1 minute, then done.
**Natalie has a download of this recipe Right Here on her website. Have a great weekend everyone!